February 10, 2014

Seven Favorite Things for Seven Years of Marriage

Today Matt and I celebrate seven years of marriage and I thought I'd do something a little different. I'm going to write seven of my favorite/memorable moments with him or a few of my favorite qualities of him. These are not in any particular order and they're not all or my most favorite or memorable because some are to be cherished in the heart only.

1. When we were in Seattle last year and had finally sat down with the head of the Pediatric Cardiology department, Dr. Lewin, and one of the high-risk OBs, Dr. Delaney, after they had done all of the preliminary ultrasounds and echocardiograms, we were punched in the gut with their findings. Your daughter is in severe distress and heart failure. We cannot do surgery before 34 weeks and at this stage of her heart failure I'm not very optimistic that she'll make it that long. I could hardly catch my breath and every ounce of strength I had went into not falling completely apart at that moment. I looked over at Matt and I could see the same shock and pain in his eyes. And I'm not sure I can quite sufficiently describe this next moment but it's something I'll never forget. I could literally see him pull together a strength from deep within and everything about him changed into a solid strength that literally carried me the next half hour. It's impossible to explain but I'll never forget the look that came over his face and how I could've wept with gratitude for what it did for me in that moment.

2. Ok, a fun one. We flew to New England for my 25th birthday, which is in the fall, and had the time of our lives. We drove the whole coast all the way up to Maine and back. There were so many fun and memorable things on that trip but my favorite was the camaraderie and exclusiveness of it. Just Matt and I making memories only we will share.

I think this was Vermont.

Maine coast.

Maine coast again.

3. One of my favorite qualities about Matt is how humble he is. (He's going to kill me for even writing that.) There's nothing about him that feels he has to make himself known or brag about himself or his achievements. He does what he does with excellence and he does it without any fanfare.

4. Another favorite quality about him is what an amazing Dad he is. I regularly ask myself, What would Matt do in this situation? Just today I texted him a parenting question to get his opinion on what I should do in a certain situation. He's just a flat-out great Dad. He's involved, he's engaged, he's patient, he's consistent. I love the way he talks with the boys respectfully and gives them his undivided attention and genuinely values what they have to tell him. He's never once come home from work or studying and done his own thing because "he deserves it." If it has to do with his own interests, it goes on the back burner in order to spend quality time with us. (And that is honestly something I've never asked him to do, it's simply been what he's done.)

Micah! So itty bitty! 


This is a common thing in our household - fighting over Dad.


The solution.


Holding his baby girl.

5. Another favorite memory is simply every time he laughs really hard. He has a very distinct laugh and it never ceases to make me laugh even harder.


6. When we were dating I had a lot of fears and insecurities about his commitment to me because of a previous serious relationship I had been in. But from the very beginning of us being together, even before we were "official" he would say, I'm in this. I'm fully in this. I'm committed. I look back on that so fondly because it did so much for my heart. And I've never once doubted it all these years. He's shown me in a thousand different ways that he's in this. He's committed.

We were just dating and in Texas meeting his family and friends for the first time. FYI, Texas in August. Don't do it. Just love yourself and don't do it.

Texas in August again. We were about to eat at a place called Mercado's. Matt still tries to convince me TexMex food is just as good as New Mexican food. For all my fellow New Mexican-ers, you understand that that is just an affront on every level.

7. Ok, I'll end with another favorite quality. Matt is responsibly adventurous. I'll have to explain this one. I have always had a wild side and been very adventurous. I usually act first, think later. (I'm not bragging about that; believe me, it's gotten me in trouble more than once.) I'm the type that will usually try anything without fully thinking through the cost, the ramifications (is death a possibility, for example), etc. Matt is just as adventurous but he's also very responsible and very much a thinker and planner. So yes, he's down for going to Puerto Rico for a Babymoon but where are we going to stay? How much are vacation rentals? Rental cars? Superfluous things like that. We honestly got into a huge argument before we left because I was trying to convince him we could camp on the beach the whole time (I was six months pregnant at the time) and he was adamant that that was ridiculous. His good sense won out and thanks to his extensive research and planning skills we (and by we I mean he) found great vacation rentals for our whole trip for very inexpensive. So he's exactly what I need. Willing to be adventurous with me but also has the common sense I can occasionally lack.

(We sadly don't have a ton of pictures from our trip because we took a million before we realized we hadn't put the SD card in. Super sad moment.)

Not the most flattering picture but one of the few we have.

We never know what each year will hold but I'd do it all over again with my favorite guy.

Not very clear but seeing me for the first time in my wedding finery.


Ever since I watched the Sean and Catherine Bachelorette wedding, I've felt so justified about Matt and the groomsmen's bow ties. Theirs were the result of an order mistake; Sean's was the result of purposeful choice seen by millions of people. See? Justified.

Salsa dancing!

Happy seven years, babe!

4 comments:

  1. So sweet! You two are an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know about that, but thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. Very, very sweet. I especially love the picture of Matt and Grace ... it reminds me of a few of Josh with Evie. I just love the love these daddies had (have!) for their girls. Absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that picture too. The sadness in his face always kills me though. They do have such a special love for their girls. Can't wait for the reunion.

      Delete