August 12, 2013

When God Speaks in the Middle of a Montana Fair

I went to bed with a blog post on my mind last night and now I can't remember it. I hate when that happens.

We've been enjoying our summer. The fair came to town last week and that was pretty exciting for us. Doesn't take much. Couple carnies, sketch fair food, subsequent stomach issues, rides that are at least 27 years old, and you've got yourself the time of your life.

Love that Jami. 




Guys, the llamas. The llamas. I don't even know where to start with them. Let's just say they made my entire fair experience.




About to ride some ponies.


Asher was so funny on this ride. He really thought he was driving it, he was so serious the entire time.

I loved watching the boys ride the rides and see the animals. So much wonder and awe at their age. I had a complete heart experience at one point. In fact, I stood at the railing watching Micah in his convertible car but my heart was a different place completely. I love that God's not limited to reverent places. When he speaks, you listen. Even when you're standing in the scorching sun with Rihanna blaring in the background, surrounded by a slew of overly carny-carnies. 

I was watching Micah ride the car ride. It was right after I had to remove Asher from a ride because he was completely afraid and hysterical. I could tell it made Micah a little unsure of the next ride. I watched him make the first lap, looking around, uncertain and a little afraid.

I called out to him, Hi Micah! Hey buddy, look at you riding the ride! That's awesome, you're such a big boy! His eyes moved from person to person, looking for the sound of my voice. He finally found my face and caught my eye and his face literally transformed from uncertainty and fear to complete happiness and joy. 


And that's when I had my moment. My son had just shown me an amazing picture of God's truth. 

This verse immediately sprang to mind.

Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. - Psalm 34:5

(Quick way to remember that verse: 3, 4, 5. Psalm 34:5.)

When I'm fearful and uncertain, my eyes skip from person to person, object to object, looking for assurance, rest, and security. I crave affirmation and rescue. But when my eyes skim the distractions, discontent until I turn my eyes toward the face of Jesus, I am transformed. My eyes meet his and my heart registers a safe place. A place where I belong, am known, loved, sheltered in the shadow of his wings. Where the substance of his truth and life overshadow my fears and worries. 

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. - 2nd Corinthians 3:18

Turn your eyes upon, Jesus, my friend. Find there the rest your soul craves. Know him and be known by him, so that in the middle of the storm as your eyes alight from one insufficient substitute to another, you can find his gaze and be transformed. 

10 comments:

  1. Such cute pictures Sara! Of course you always teach me wonderful things too. Eyes on Jesus = Solid Plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carly. I love your synopsis. :)

      Delete
  2. I am honored and humbled to have made your blog....

    PS. I had the EXACT same experience with Ellis, regarding the look in his eyes when he could hear me but not see me... and then he sees me and is overcome with glee. Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honored and humbled to have you as my friend. Love you, dear friend. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I needed to read today, my friend. As always, in awe of your wisdom <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, you're always so encouraging. Thank the Lord for his wisdom and truth just when we need it. Love you, my friend.

      Delete
  5. This is really beautiful. It reminds me of a hymn ... Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face. And the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace.

    Amen. <3

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Local Tamil News

    ReplyDelete

  7. Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Local Tamil News

    ReplyDelete