April 17, 2013

Very Specific Prayer Requests for Baby Grace's Declining Condition

I haven't wanted to post anything because I'm not sure how you put words to such pain. But we refuse to give up hoping and our Baby Grace needs lots of prayers and I want to post as specific a prayer list as possible.

I mentioned in my last post that last Thursday at our appointment with the perinatologist the ultrasound showed that the fluid build-up (heart failure) was getting worse. We had been hoping and praying not only for it not to be worse but even for it to be better. So as you can imagine it was devastating to hear.

On Monday of this week we had another appointment with our pediatric cardiologist, Dr. Hardy. Thus far, Dr. Hardy has been Baby Gracie's biggest fan and cheerleader (besides us). He has never downplayed the seriousness of her condition but he has been persistently optimistic and hopeful. Not so this week. 

One of the major things that Baby Grace had going in her favor was that even though she only has a single ventricle, it was still doing a good job and was quite healthy. This week he said there has been a significant change and decline in its condition. Her heart rate was also the lowest it's ever been - 54 BPM. She is obviously in distress. 

She desperately needs a pacemaker but after several calls to surgeons and a cardiac electro-physiologist, Dr. Hardy called us on Monday evening to give yet more bad news - surgeons simply cannot put a pacemaker into a baby less than 34 weeks because their hearts just aren't big enough. 

I sobbed in Matt's arms after the call. 

Earlier that day, Dr. Hardy had told us as gently as he could that he thinks she isn't going to make it much longer if we don't do something. The pacemaker was our last something. She needs five more weeks in my belly to have a chance after birth. At the rate her heart failure has been going five weeks is a very, very long time. 

Here is what she needs prayer for:

- Increased and sustained higher heart rate.

- A sufficient increased heart rate to pump the fluid out of where it's been accumulating.

- No further decline of her single ventricle.

- Strong and healthy aortic and pulmonic valves. 

- To grow big and strong in preparation for surgery after birth.

- That her continued life in my belly and surgery and recovery would be so remarkable and inexplicable that the surgeons would marvel all the rest of their practice; that it would completely confound them.

I know the odds are stacked against her. I know the doctors are waiting for what they deem to be an unavoidable outcome. But today she's living and kicking and moving. And Acts 17:28 says, "For in Him (Christ) we live and move and have our being." Today God has given her life. And we won't stop persisting in prayer, asking for life and healing. 

Please ask with us?

18 comments:

  1. Asked for everything you wrote IMMEDIATELY upon reading this!! Sara before I even got to the last prayer request I was praying that Baby Grace would astound doctor's and that she would be a little lady that they tell all their other patients about because her story would be so unbelieveable. That she would serve as the "oddest" case of health, survival, and miraculous of healings even with all that is against her.

    And then I read your last prayer request and smiled so much. Let it be Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes Sara praying for you! I am pleading to God along with you for precious little Grace! I pray with all that I am that God will do something so amazing and so miraculous that little Grace will be the headline of news sources everywhere, that the medical community will be astounded.

    I cry big alligator tears with you as we ask our gracious Father for life. Love you so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, when do you check in with the doctors again? How often are you getting checked?

    Pleading with God along with you and many, many others that He will sustain her life. I honestly don't even know what to say to you except to let you know that we are standing with you in prayer - and that the whole community is standing with you in prayer. We love you, and we love baby Grace.

    Remembering with you today that "the God of angel armies is always by our side".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog through a friend. I just prayed for your sweet baby girl and asked for her to have life. I am also praying for another baby that has a single ventricle heart. He is currently in Children's Hospital in Dallas. You can find their story here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/beatsforbeckham/
    I ache as a parent when I read stories like this. I don't know why I was blessed with a healthy child and others are suffering. I pray that God is giving you peace and understand no matter the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet Sara, please know that we will continue to pray without ceasing!! lots of love prayer and covering for you, your family and especially grace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MOPS moms around the country praying for you and your sweet little Grace! Luke 12:7 - And the very hairs on your head area all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying with you and for you and Baby Grace! God is in control and he has brought you this far.....praying that He will take you and Grace the rest of the way and allow her to be born and live a wonderful life!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sara. I am so sorry for all that you and your family are going through right now. I a fellow missionalwoman blogger and you are ahead of me on the prayer list. I have been following your blog posts a bit anyway, but now will follow more closely. I am asking God for a miracle for Grace and for His miraculous sustaining love and strength for you. He is good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am continuing to stand with you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prayers are on their way to God!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sara, Kelly's Korner brought me to your blog. I am so inspired by your faith and strength in the face of terrible odds. I am praying for everything on your list PLUS renewed strength for the medical team treating your Amazing Baby Grace. May we all witness more miracles through her in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prayers for baby Grace and her family.
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came to your blog through "Kelly's Korner"...your sweet Baby Grace is my prayers! (as well as you and your entire family!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sara, I'm continuing to pray for you, Matt, your family and especially for precious lil Baby Grace Haven. I can't imagine what you're going through, but my heart aches with you. I trust that God will sustain you through this and will be mighty to provide for all your needs. I continue to pray for miracles for Baby Grace. To Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine! Sending you love and hugs from Durango!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found this through Kelly's blog and just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your sweet baby girl. My husband and I lost our son 22 weeks into the pregnancy over Christmas after complications that had left us in limbo for several weeks not knowing if he would make it or not. I know the pain and am pleading on your behalf all of the things you listed above.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara, I found your blog through a friend and am praying for you, your family, and sweet baby Grace. I am encouraged by your faith (Romans 1:12), and I will continue to pray for Grace.

    ReplyDelete