February 11, 2013

Recap of our 6th Anniversary and a Look Back in Time

Matt and I celebrated our 6th anniversary on Sunday. It's unreal that 6 years have gone by so quickly. With everything going on, I honestly hadn't put that much thought into it. But on Saturday night Matt sent me a text (from the next room) telling me to check my email.

I opened it to find, Can you say Garithes Yiouvetsi? I can't either, but it sounds good. 

It was followed with a link to our favorite restaurant's February menu. And that was followed with a link to a Salsa dancing class at a dance collective here in town. It was such a fun surprise!

But first, for my record, a walk through our last anniversaries:

Year 1 we flew into Oregon and drove all along the coast, spending time in the Redwood Forest and exploring the ridiculous beauty in that part of the country.






Year 2 we flew to Seattle. (Flew over in the morning, flew back that night.) (You have to remember I worked for the airlines for a long time and we had flight benefits.) (We're not high rollers.)

The original Starbucks.

 Seattle's famous market in the background.

Eating authentic clam chowder. So delicious.

Year 3 we had a 10 day old and if I recall correctly (which I do) we had to take him to his 10 day check-up. We were sleep-deprived and hanging on to sanity by a thread. Matt got me flowers and a card and we called it good.


Year 4 we left Micah with friends and went to the Silk Road (where we went this year). I was also pregnant with Asher. I don't think I have a picture of us that year but I do have a picture of Micah that my friend snapped while she was watching him for us that night.

Ummm, I could die.



Year 5 we had a quick dinner and then went to see the Harlem Globe Trotters. We only got to stay about 30 minutes though because Asher wouldn't take a bottle for the first 8 months of his life (he would only nurse), so my parents called us to say that they had tried everything but he wasn't having it. It was still fun though, I'd like to see them perform again.

(I'm sorry, I've searched and I can't find those pictures, though I know we took some. C'est la vie.)

So this year we again went to the Silk Road. Matt's mom is so thoughtful and called ahead and had a gift card waiting for us! So sweet!

But first we had to stop in to see our very, very good friends' new baby boy, Hayz.

Oh my gosh, so stinking cute. I love him.

Then we were off to dinner. The Silk Road is a tapas-style restaurant, which means that you order several different things and they come in smaller portions so that you can try more. The menu features dishes from all over the world, which is totally right up our alley.


 February's menu. 
If you look closely, you can see the different countries to the right.

 I ordered a new drink, Agave Watermelon Cream Soda. Oh my gosh, to die for.

 The first dish was from France, Seasonal Mushroom Saute (one of my favorites that night).

And then the Crab Dip from the Northeastern USA. Honestly, I didn't love it. It wasn't bad and I loved the pita bread and gluten-free cracker bread that came with it, but I just kind of liked the dip itself (though I still managed to help Matt polish it off). 

After that we had the lamb gyro. I forgot to take a before picture. Suffice it to say it was amazing.

We usually order a couple more but we were feeling pretty full and we wanted to save room for dessert so we ordered one last dish, the Pad Thai with tofu. 

Yum, yum, yum. The flavors were amazing. Another of my favorites that night.

Once the waiter found out we were celebrating our anniversary he said that dessert was on the house. And I'm so glad he picked it for us because it was so different than what we'd normally order, but we loved it!

I can't find it on the menu so I don't know the official name or where it's from but I remember the ice cream was made in-house, Blueberry Lavender, and the bottom part was some sort of custardy thing with amazing things on top. 


It was served with Turkish coffee. Oh the hair on my chest. I drink my coffee black and prefer very dark roasts but even I couldn't take more than a couple sips! The flavor was delicious but just very (very, very, very, very, very) strong. Matt loved it, he finished mine for me. 

 Check out those tiny cups and coffee "pot!" So neat!

After this we went to our Salsa dancing class. Matt and I love Salsa dancing. It was actually the spark that got us to see each other again when we first met. Story here

We ended up being the only couple so it was like a private lesson! We learned some new moves, got to watch some pros put us to shame, and totally had a blast. 

Matt was feeling the Rhythm Divine.

 Baby Grace celebrating with us! (Almost 20 weeks here.)

 A great night with a great man. 

If there's one thought that kept coming to mind that day, it was this:

Ladies, choose your husband well. We would never have known when we got married 6 years ago in Colorado the journey our lives would take and the hardships that would come, like our present season. But it's made all the more bearable when you have a man committed to loving Jesus, loving you, loving his kids, and doing the right thing because it's the right thing. In short, integrity

Choose well. Choose for forever. 

3 comments:

  1. Love love love! So happy your night was so wonderful! The two of you make the world so much brighter!

    Mama Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to you for always loving and spoiling us! We miss you all the time!

      Delete
  2. Awww, this is such a nice recap! I love the pics, and your writing style as always! Looks like you always do something fun & spontaneous for your anniversary!
    Happy Anniversary :)
    Continuing to pray for you and baby Grace.
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete