December 12, 2012

Failure All Around

The blog has been a little quiet. I've been trying to find my groove between establishing a business and maintaining our normal lives.

I've put a hold on all sessions until I get my business legitimately established in the eyes of the state of Montana. This is where community is great to have. I'm not a technical, detail-oriented person, but I know people who are. So I got in touch with them, told them what I was needing to do, and two in particular totally pulled through for me and laid out for me in great detail my next steps. (Hi mom! Hi Shannan!)

Seriously, I am so thankful for them. I stopped beating myself up years ago for not being administrative and detail-oriented. I may not have a filing cabinet in my home but I can socialize like it's 1999. We need our People-People and our Paper-People. And for those of you that are both, you make me sick.

I also had my first failed shoot. There were several factors that contributed to its failure and looking back I should've just stopped and said, I'm sorry, I'm not getting the types of shots that I know you want and I think we need to call it a day.

So what're my takeaways?

1. Have a contract that addresses these types of things.

2. Do the hard thing when you need to do the hard thing.

I seriously feel like I could write a book on all the things not to do when starting a photography career.

But I beat myself up over it for about an hour, gave it to the Lord, and resolved to learn from it and press on. If I quit at the first sign of challenge, then I'm a quitter. Plain and simple.

In other failure news, we tried to do a family shoot this last Sunday.

See?

Matt was in the middle of saying something very deep. Like, It's freezing! Hurry, babe!

 Daddy, it's fweezing!

No mo' pitchers!

 Oops, didn't have the timer set right.

A couple were alright. (FYI, except for a couple, these are all SOOC, straight out of camera. I.e. no editing's been done.)










We'll try Round 2 this weekend. It'll be a miracle on 34th Street if we get our cards out in time for Christmas. Wish us luck.

3 comments:

  1. Sara,
    Your blog post about wedding photos cracked me up! Before I was a photographer, my sister had a similar experience. Therefore, I don't do weddings. ;)

    I also loved the shots of your family. One day, years from now, you will love these so-called "out-takes" and your kids will, too.

    I had many a failed shoot at the beginning and wanted to quit so bad. But the Lord kept pushing me, and here I am. :) Don't give up! It's the bad ones that you learn the most from. <3

    Abbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara! This pictures are so gorgeous. You have a very "handsome" family. I'm Gertrude from A Chosen Remnant. Thanks for stopping by my blog today and leaving a comment.

    I am also a little jealous of the snow you have there in your pictures. No snow for PA ! :) Have a very Merry Christmas and an excellent New Year.

    Blessings. Gertrude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sara,
    I'm not sure I'm a paper-people except I went to school for it! I love to be a people-people too. I am still convinced we are twins separated at birth. Writing, photography & dessert...um, yep, we are twins! So glad I could help!

    Shannan

    ReplyDelete