November 02, 2012

Big News of the Hugest Kind

If you're friends with me on Facebook, then this perhaps is not news to you.


It's true. That's mine. We are.

I could not be happier. I simply could not. I have to share how this all happened, for my own posterity (I don't know what that means) and because I'd love to share this with all of you.

I hadn't paid much attention to my cycle this month, though the thought had flitted through my mind a few times. I'd been so busy with my mother-in-law's visit, attending a conference on the other side of the nation, avoiding being in the path of a deadly hurricane, potty training, that I hadn't had much time to think about it.

Yesterday, however, it crossed my mind that perhaps it might be possible. I'll spare you the details that made me wonder this but I was fairly curious. That morning at my weekly Bible study, the subject came up. Are you pregnant? She asked it jokingly. I froze because I in fact wondered if I was. I laughed. No, I thought I could be but I'm not. The symptoms were too close to my crazed state of other lady things, and I'd been wrong the previous months.

But the thought stayed with me. My mom was watching the boys while I ran errands and I made the quick decision to pick up a test at The Wal-mart. If any of you know me in real life, you know that once I've got something in my head it must be done immediately. No waiting, no thinking, it has to get done right this second three days ago. 

So in lieu of awaiting the privacy and convenience of my own home, I quickly found the restrooms in the place of my next stop and...tested.

(The new store, Natural Grocers, for those of you interested.)

(May that thought always stay with you. Every time you drive down the busiest street in our city and see its lights a-beckon, may it come to mind. Natural Grocers. Bathroom.)

It turned positive almost immediately and I had the deepest, deepest, deepest feeling of joy that I think is humanly possible. My smile stretched from ear to shining ear. I whispered out loud over and over, Thank you, Jesus, thank you, thank you, thank you! 

I have to stop and address something because I know some of you are concerned that we've chosen to share when I'm so early in my pregnancy.

I heard this years ago and it stuck with me. It was from a lady who had suffered a miscarriage. She and her husband had shared the joyous news immediately, so when they suffered their loss, there were many people who knew. She wrote that she would rather have had a large community of caring people to pray for them and love them in their loss than to ever have to shoulder it alone.  (That's my paraphrase.)

Also, these are my thoughts on it. Whether the Lord grant us a lifetime (let it be so) with our very much loved little one or a short time, his (or her) life matters to us from the moment of conception. He does not carry more or less weight or value or significance depending on his number of days, because every single one of them have already been authored by a loving and holy God. He became a part of us from the moment we knew of him and we celebrate his life from this moment on. We delight to share our joy with others and we thrill to testify to the world that this little one is so very, very loved and wanted and cherished.

Okay, that aside, I do have to tell you something. Last night I was on Facebook, email, my blog, answering people's queries (aren't I English?), expressing thankfulness for people's excitement, etcetera. All of a sudden I had this horrible fear that I had tested wrong and led millions of people (fine, dozens) to believe that I was pregnant when I wasn't. I jest you not that I literally sprung from the couch, grabbed the extra test, and immediately...tested.

You can imagine my great relief to see another immediate positive result. That would have been awkward, my friends.

So here are the stats.

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and every Thursday is a new week.

I'm due July 4th, 2013. (A little Independence Day irony, no?)

According to the Chinese Gender Prediction Calendar, I'm having a girl.

According to the other Chinese Gender Prediction Calendar, I'm having a boy.

One of them is right, I know it.

Let the games begin.

11 comments:

  1. Over the moon excited for you guys. We have been able to follow your blog about Micah,Asher, and now this new addition! BTW, this is Chris's comment about 3 days ago.."shouldn't Matt & Sara be pregnant pretty soon?" Don't ask me how this came to his mind. Congrats dear friend.

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! So excited for you guys! =) Oh, and I didn't know that Natural Grocers is open yet - good to know!!! Haha ;)
    -Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jocelyn! Yes, it is open (but a little expensive)!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written!
    And I whole heartedly agree with letting others in on your journey. For each of our precious lives we never got to hold in our arms, I am so grateful for the support and love and grieving. I wouldn't miss out on the joy of celebrating.

    Happy 4th of July and congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melanie! Thank you for sharing your story with me last week. You're letting God use your story for his glory. :)

      Delete
  4. Friend I am literally cracking up right now. You are too funny! Over the moon excited for you! Good thing you and Laura talked about names this weekend right?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing! I don't know if I can name TWO the same as hers!

      Delete
  5. I love your writing! Very excited for you all. We shared early once and then lost that baby. It was nice to have all the prayers, but hard to repeat what had happened. Funny though, we got pregnant right after, so for a few people.. we were pregnant a long time! It just was easier to say yes to being pregnant than share the whole ordeal over! May God bless you and the new little one. Babies are just so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corinne, I didn't know you read my blog, thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm sorry for your baby in heaven. I can see that and I think until you go through it, it's hard to say exactly what will be the best response for YOU and not someone else. God bless you, sweet girl!

      Delete
  6. Sara! Wow! Such wonderful news! Congratulations to you and Matt :) As always, great job on telling the story, reading your blog always leaves a smile on my face!
    Again, congrats! Praying for a fun pregnancy and a healthy little one, as cute as the other 2 :)

    ReplyDelete