November 21, 2012

A Lesson In Parenting

Oh my goodness, it's been too long. I've missed this.

I've been a little tied up with launching my photography business and having sessions back to back. I have to post some faves here. (If you're friends with me on facebook, you've seen these. Don't hate me.)





It's amazing to me how much I learn every session and learn to think a little more outside the box. Those boxes, man. They'll get ya.

With Thanksgiving approaching, I had a new parenting experience last week that had to do with being thankful. I've mentioned before that we do not condone pickiness in our house. We've never had a huge problem with it because Micah's always been such a great eater and Asher is following in his footsteps. But there were several days in a row last week that Micah was being very fussy and very complain-ey about his food. And not so much the food, but wanting this! and that too! and Daddy's food! (even if it were the exact same thing).

So we were really emphasizing being thankful for what we have but we kept hitting the same wall at mealtimes and snacktimes. So finally one morning last week I went for drastic measures. I took him to our room to talk to him and I said, Micah, since you're choosing to be unthankful and ungrateful for your food, you're all done with breakfast. Mommy tried to tell you that I wanted you to be thankful, but you chose not to, so you're all done with breakfast this morning, buddy.

I really questioned on the inside if I was doing a good thing because I knew he was hungry. I didn't want to be too hard on him, but I really felt like it was needed to get through to him. Needless to say, he was devastated. I explained to him several times why he was all done with breakfast but he was still extremely sad.

I didn't make him go until lunch though. (I think that would've been too much). We had Bible study that morning, so we dropped Asher off with my mom and then I swung him and I by to grab a late breakfast at his favorite place. You can imagine he devoured every last bite.

And I am not exaggerating when I say that I cannot remember a single mealtime since then that we've had to deal with it. In fact that night at dinner he was starting to fuss and I reminded him of the morning and he said, All done, beck-fest? No mo' eat beck-fest?

I reminded him that he would be all done if he didn't choose to be thankful and eat what he had, and guess who ate all his dinner?

So even though I questioned it, I think it was the right thing.

Well, I'm off to get my boys up from their naps, get dinner ready, and prepare for some good, quality family time tomorrow. Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. You are a legit mom. Dang we are so inpsired by you to raise kids someday! I love what you did-disciplined out of love and he understood. What a sweet lesson.

    ReplyDelete