August 20, 2012

Self-Esteem, a Recovery

We had a pretty laid-back weekend, which was exactly what we needed. We had a super busy week last week and so it was nice to take it easy for two days. We went to the farmer's market, bbq-ed, had friends over, I baked blueberry muffins, had some time to myself, we ate pizza, and I may have also had a minor (major) self-esteem meltdown. But my husband totally came through.

I was totally beating myself up that I hadn't planned a party for Asher and how could I let such a  milestone go uncelebrated and their closets are totally disorganized and the room in the office is completely unfunctional and I'm not saying things will make me feel better but I am affected by my environment and I just function better in an organized environment and they don't even have real decorations on their wall and her daughter's room is so cute and she's just so creative and you don't even have to spend a lot of money, you just have to be creative but I hate arts and crafts... And so on and so forth.

Matt intervened (thankfully), Babe, are you comparing yourself to Velma* and Tootsie*? You have to stop comparing yourself. Just because you've seen pictures of their rooms doesn't mean you should start feeling bad about yourself.

*Names have been change to protect the identities of the innocent and also my self-esteem.

I sniffled. And Betsy. You forgot her.

So I took his advice and threw myself into planning a party for Asher. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this. 

It's not going to be Pinterest-worthy but who cares. It'll be my three favorite guys, my family, good friends, little and big, food, and cupcakes. What else is needed to be happy, right?

Except for perhaps a certain 2 1/2 year old potty training himself.

I have tried to introduce potty training to Micah many times and he has not wanted anything to do with it. I haven't pushed it because I know my son and he will not be pushed. It would only serve to make him antagonistic.

(Oh my gosh, where does he get that from? How do I live with myself? )

Recently however, he showed some interest in wanting to sit on the potty, but as you'll notice in the picture, diaper is fully intact. Just a little sitting action. Nothing to fluff your feathers about.

Cuteness overload.

Further cuteness overload.

But today, folks. Today. Completely on his own, without even getting my attention, I just happened to notice, he went to the potty, assumed the position, and pee-peed in the potty.

*really big exuberant exclamation mark*

He has now done this three times, not even wearing a diaper until his naptime. So I'm curious to see what it'll be like when he gets up. Amazingness. Other parents really are telling the truth when they say, When they're ready, they're ready. 

So I think we're headed in the right potty direction. Time will testify. I'll keep you updated, if I should perchance remember, which I probably will.

How about you, anything spectacular happen in your life this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Sara, stop beating yourself up over what others do. I was never impressed with all the things people do at birthday parties! Kids dont remember what the decorations were on their wall---they remember the time and love you spend with them. I know how you feel--I had the same feelings when Matt Stacy and Danny were little. Age manages to put all that in perspective. I wouldnt care in the least what you prepare for the party---I would remember the hugs, kisses and smiles. In your house those are abundant--so enjoy the day!!!!

    Love and miss you
    Mama Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but often easier said than done. How often do we do what we shouldn't and not do what we should? ;) I've always enjoyed and been amazed at how creative some people can be and I've always wished to be able to do that. On most days I can simply appreciate it. On bad days I compare myself and feel boring and uncreative. Just keeping it real. :)

      Delete