August 31, 2012

No, Dat Way!

Thank you to those who "Join(ed) This Site"! And it's not too late to still join. It's never too late.

Yeah? Okay.

Moving on.

So when we're driving in the car 99.94328% of the time I hear a running commentary from the backseat from the lips of my favorite two year old. Think ESPN. But without the sports. And the announcers. And the really cool plays that I can only tolerate for 2.7 minutes before I start my own running commentary about the ridiculous pedestal we give to a bunch of guys in tight pants running around with a ball in their hands.

It goes something like this.

Ooh, horsies! Horsies taking a nap? Horsies eat carrots? Feed horsie carrot! Mama, mama, mama, mama, feed horsie carrot, pease! 

Ooh birdie! Up in the sky! 

Ooh, scary barwe! (I missed that one somehow. You'd think I would've kept an eye out.)

Mama, church? Fwens? No church! No fwens! No slide! 

Baby cone! Mama, baby cone! Mama, mama, mama, mama, baby cone! 

Caws coming? Watch foe caws coming?

Song, pease! No sing, mama. Bess the Lohwde, oh my soe', ohhh-oh-ohhh my soe'. 

God's not dead, he shirley alive!

No, go dat way! No, mama, dat way! No, no, no, mama, go dat way

Most of the time I enjoy the running commentary. Except for when he gets it into his head that we need to go another direction. Not the way we're going. Not the way I know we need to go. Not the way I know is the right way. But the way he's purposed in his mind he wants to go.

I think sometimes as adults we forget not only that we were once kids all wrapped up in childishness, but that even as adults we still have a determined self-willed sinful nature.

The Lord gives us the ability and grace to walk with him, to follow him, to obey him, and all the while he listens to our running commentary.

Ooh, shiny things, shiny things!! I need them, Lord, I need them! 

Big house! Nice car! Two-car garage! Playroom! Swing-set! 

Skinny butt! Fancy clothes! Lots of money! Gimme, gimme, gimme! 

Look at her life - oh Lord, can I have it? Please, can I have it? It's so much better than mine! I need it!

Scary calling, Lord, scary calling! No way, too scary! No, no, no, no, no, Lord!

Love her? Forgive him? No love! No forgive!

No, I don't want to go that way! Not that way, this way! No, Lord, I'm going this way!

And as silly as it is for my two year old to sit in the back seat and be my navigational director, it's as silly for us to (try to) direct the mind of the Creator of the universe. The One outside of time. The One above our highest thoughts. The One whose ways are higher than ours. The One who makes our wisdom look foolish. And our strength, weak. The One who says,

Who has measured the Spirit of the Lord, or what man shows him his counsel?
Whom did he consult, and who made him understand? Who taught him the path of justice, and taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding? 
Isaiah 40:13-14

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. 
He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. 
Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted;
but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. 
Isaiah 40:28-31

I want to go your way, Lord. Keep me from self-willed, sin-full determination to go my own foolish way.


(Linked up at http://www.beholdingglory.com/)



7 comments:

  1. I love the comparrisons between your two-year-old's musings and our own - so true! Linked up behind you on Beholding Glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa, I appreciate you stopping by! Looking forward to visiting your blog!

      Delete
  2. Love this post - my ability to understand my position as a child of God has greatly improved once I became a mom. There is so much to learn as a parent that helps our relationship with our Maker.

    Thank you for sharing this!
    Marissa
    http://forfunreadinglist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marissa! I totally agree, having kids greatly deepened my relationship with the Lord. Going to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  3. I'm wrestling with this same out-of-control-ness, and having kids sure helps me see it in myself more clearly. Great post! Glad you linked up to The Parent 'Hood today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joy, I appreciate you stopping by, and I love the Parent Hood already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good insight. How silly it is for us to try and be the navigator. We need to be listening and asking for directions.

    ReplyDelete