August 27, 2012

Happy 1st Birthday, Asher!

Asher, at 10:13pm tonight you will be one year old. This time last year I woke up after a fitful sleep because contractions had kept me up much of the night. The morning of what we did not know then would be your bithday we got up and dressed in as little clothing as decently possible. This was necessary as we were residing on the surface of the sun. Or at least that's what my pregnant body was telling me.

There was some sort of Irish Fest (I think, I can't remember what Fest it was, but it was a Fest) happening downtown so we went. Daddy parked as far away as he could because he likes to do that to me and we walked for a very long time. Across streets, over bridges, through towns and countries, past fields of lilacs and flocks of sheep, wayward donkeys and wild elephants, eventually arriving at our destination where hey! there's a parking spot right there! Isn't that funny how that happens? Every once in awhile on our journey I would have to stop to let a contraction pass.

And I tell the rest of your birth story here.

Moments after your birth.
Those blissful, peaceful first minutes in which nobody else is but you and me.

Happy mama.

Nothing would console you except breastfeeding.
Funny thing is that's still true today, although much less true than it was.

Almost birthday twins!

 WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!!! HIDEOUS PICTURE ALERT!!!


I only include this to show that I am NOT one of those girls who only gains weight in my belly. I gain it in my face, my butt, my arms, my legs, my ears, my eyeballs, my hair follicles, my fingernails, and everywhere else in between.

Chunkies are forming. Mission accomplished.

You've always had this temperament: calm and laidback.

You still have this face! 

You weigh 25 pounds. You're in the 85th percentile for weight and 40th for height, which never ceases to amuse me. That's a funny visual image. You rarely allow us to feed you anymore, you like to do it yourself. I've weaned down breastfeeding to morning and night. You nurse first thing in the morning, before bed, and usually around 10 or 10:30 at night. We've finally gotten your first nap to be consistently good, though your second nap is always hit and miss, usually miss.

You and your big brother have been sharing a room since you were 4 months old. You're still a fantastic sleeper at night. You boys go to bed around 7 and sleep until 7:30 or 8 in the morning. You like to give us a run for our money those first minutes after we lay you both down. Sometimes lights out equals partay! in your minds.

You and Micah are great buddies. He is so protective of you, it melts my heart.  I love to sit back and watch the two of you lost in playtime, side by side. Just today you were figuring out how to put legos together. Micah rarely gets away with taking things out of your hand anymore. You prefer to give off what some people might call The Scream From H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks. Oftentimes it scares Micah so badly he quickly throws it at your feet. I'm with him - anything to make it stop. And quickly, please. You do love your big brother though. A few times now while Micah has still been napping you've crawled to his door, banging and pounding and yelling, and when he comes out you let out a huge squeal and crawl for him as quickly as you can. It's very sweet.

You still have your trademark Wide-Eyed Look. You take everything in with huge eyes, rarely changing expression, particularly when strangers are talking to you. You are very mild-tempered and easygoing. You're often content to simply take everything in, quiet and watchful.

We love you deeply, sweet boy. The day mama found out she was pregnant with you she got down on her knees on the bathroom rug, and with a huge smile on her face she thanked the Lord over and over. And today at lunch as I held your hand in my left hand and your brother's hand in my right I thanked the Lord for the thousandth time for my two boys.

We love you, Rolls.

Birthday boy!

There were no chocolate survivors.

You love to throw balls!
You're welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment