June 19, 2012

Updates, Airplanes, and Little Boys

An update on our lives. I went back with my old (much-loved) airline job. I've been working for two weeks now and I've been reminded every day why I love this company so freaking much. I have not had one stressful moment. Not one. I love my job. I love my co-workers. I love what we do. I love that I'm only working ten hours a week. I love our airplanes. I love the view from our airport. I love the airline world. Love, love, love.

But here's where we're at. Our company was underbid by another and we lost the contract. Which means that at the end of this season we're done here. Which means I'll be furloughed again for three years with this company. Which means that I'll have three years to come back with my original hire date. (Again, hire date is everything.)

We had a big meeting last night with some company bigwigs (one word? two?) and it was very enlightening. Made me very excited for some possibilities in the future. Since I originally came back seasonally anyway, the loss of the contract didn't affect me too much, except that it nixed future possibilities of coming back seasonally, but it affects my co-workers greatly and I hurt the most for them.

So, we'll finish the summer season (our busiest) out strong and leave on a good note. We're making the most of it, getting in as many trips as possible. California next week. Overnight to San Fran and/or Chicago, just Matt and I. Hopefully. (Mom? Mom Two? Bueller?) And, due to some recent changes in United's travel benefits, I was able to choose another person to receive our exact flight benefits so my favorite MIL now has them too. We're talking Hawaii, we'll see.

It's hard to explain how passionate I am about travel and culture. Enough to get me a degree in it obviously. International Studies. Not a lot of good for any career other than perhaps Wendy's, but I loved what I studied. When I'm feeling discontent or frustrated or unhappy, my first thoughts are usually something like this. I wish we were in Chile right now. Or Turkey. I miss Greece, I wish we were there right now. Oh, but Romania, the people, the memories. That one castle in the mountains. Puerto Rico, I miss the beach. But Costa Rica, it was amazing. No, Peru was my favorite. That train ride through the mountains. It was magical. I want to be there. On top of Wayna Picchu again. But not starving to death this time. No wait, I loved New England. Just us and the drive and the fall leaves and that bed and breakfast. That was magical too. And Dunkin Donuts on every corner. I want a donut. With a cup of coffee on a deck overlooking the mountains. But I'd rather be in Seoul. Those pictures were awesome. Or the Great Wall, that'd be kind of neat. But I love South America so much. I miss Argentina. But I've never been there. I want to visit so badly. And Paraguay and Uruguay too.

Wow.

And then I realize what I'm doing. Not dealing with whatever's at hand, just trying to escape to my favorite world. Travellandia. It's a nice world it is.

Moving on. Matt is finishing up his second semester in his graduate program. He's doing fantastic. He's great at balancing working full-time with a graduate program and still being a great dad and husband. I'm very proud of him.

Asher is an army-crawling machine. He can get up just fine and just when he's about to crawl, his roly-poly belly drops to the ground and he resorts to army crawling. He's 9 months and weighs 24 pounds. I could eat his chubbies all day long. I've also reverted back to my prayers of, Please don't get any older. Please stay this way forever. But I prayed those same prayers for Micah and now he's 2. Somewhere, somehow, something went wrong. We're still breastfeeding full-time and I absolutely love it and so does he. By this time Micah was getting more and more uninterested, eventually weaning himself right about 11 months. I'm not sure when we'll stop, but for now I have no plans for it.

Micah is in the funniest, most fun stage ever. I love, love, love his words and talking. He says the funniest things. I was giving him a bath recently and I had to also wash his car's "butt" and "face" and then he was happy. He is very, very organized and particular about shapes and colors and lining things up. He's always lining up all of his cars or toys, always facing the same direction, always with a certain order (either size or type of toy, etc.). We think he has a very logical, mathematical mind. It's so fascinating to see. We also love that he's at an age where we can hang out and have conversations. I weighed him today and he weighs 34 pounds. These big boys of mine, where did they come from??

I'll save the rest for another day. Thanks, y'all.

3 comments:

  1. From Gloria's sister Rita ... you are an amazing writer .. your so full of passion and love .. thank you for the insight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rita, you're so sweet, thank you so much! I feel like I know you because Gloria often talks about you, but it's good to finally "talk" with you yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another nice post, Sara, I love your writing style too! :) It's also fun to keep in touch with what you've been up to!
    If you ever have tons of free travel tickets you don't know what to do with (yeah, as if it was possible! lol!) let me know :) Haha... jk! Trying to get a flight to Durango for early July but it's too expensive!
    Talk to you soon!
    Sonia
    PS: CA is great! Hawaii is awesome! San Francisco is wonderful! Good choices :)

    ReplyDelete