June 02, 2012

A Frustrated Rant

I'm debating writing this post. I really am. But I'm mad, and when I'm mad, I write.

I just came from visiting a particular website. A website for a very well-known mega-church (I hate that term) in America. And while on this website I visited the pastor profile for this very well-known pastor. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me what he's achieved and accomplished and excelled at. Because I can tell you in great detail. And do you know why?

Because he told me in great detail on his profile page. Every big amazing thing he's done and book he's written and platform he's spoken on, I now know very well. But here's the thing. I don't flipping care. I don't care. I don't care about your major accomplishments and amazing success and the fact that you're one of the world's most downloaded and quoted pastors and have written 16 books and are the founder of the second most innovative church in the country and have a skillful mix of bold presentation and clear Biblical teaching. I don't care.

I came away with a ridiculous amount of irrelevant information about this guy and zero information about Jesus. I can't help but think of that one time when Jesus was responding to the disciples when two of them were asking (well, their mom was) to sit at Jesus' right and left hand. They wanted position and recognition and honor. Why else would you ask for that? Instead, Jesus said that non-believers lord their position over others and exercise their authority over others, but Jesus said it's not to be this way among you. "But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave" (Matthew 20:26-27).

I understand that there's instruction for Biblical church governance. What I'm really railing about is my intense dislike for the celebrity pastorate. I know people can't help if others like them and their style. Popular speakers and teachers can't help that a lot of people like them, and I'm sure they have to continually pursue humility, maybe on a minute by minute basis sometimes. But I get angry when I come across something that instead seems to give others ample reason to think they're even more amazing than others may have initially known.

I know you like my teaching, but here's all these other things about me that are so amazing, I don't want you to miss another opportunity to think I'm out of this world with awesomeness.

I don't know. I'm continually walking that line of loving others lavishly and undeservedly like Jesus does, and calling a spade a spade, like Jesus does too. I love God's bride, the church. I don't love when our "mega-churches" and "mega-pastors" look more like Christianized Hollywood.

What do you guys think?

(I may end up deleting this post.)

(I really do love people and I hate feeling like I'm being an Attacking Adeline.)

(I'm just frustrated.)

(Let's still be friends?)

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, don't delete your post. It's true and sometimes the truth isn't pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! You're totally right!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Sara for speaking truth. It's all about Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you. In my opinion, your testimony speaks so much louder than words or public accomplishments. Speak the truth, if someone gets angry, it will make them think about it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krystina! It's the old saying, "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

      Delete
  5. Man centeredness and pride is the largest growing epidemic I feel churches are dealing with. I love honesty and truth you bring to the table. The moment there are more I's and Me's is the moment self edification starts and people start to loose themselves. Awesome post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anthony! I always love your thoughts, you're a deep thinker!

      Delete