May 08, 2012

Math and Gratitude

I'd like to present a mathematical equation.

Two newly popped through teeth + terrified nursing mother torture that should be reserved for only The Dark Ages

I'd like to present another mathematical equation.

Bugs are evil. Butterflies are bugs. Butterflies are evil.

My brain hasn't done this much math in years.

On a related note, I've been praying lately that I would have a thankful heart. A grateful heart. I've tried to always be mindful and thankful for the good things in my life. You know, the big things. An amazing husband. Two sons that have stolen my heart. Food to eat. Not just any shelter over our head, but nice, comfy-cozy, spacious shelter. More than enough in the bank to meet our needs. You know, those kinds of things.

But I wanted to be more intentional and thankful for the other things too. So-called little things. But I was driving home one day recently and I realized that my problem isn't being thankful for thankable things. My problem is I don't give thanks for the things that I am not thankful for. The hard things. The unwanted things.

"In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1st Thessalonians 5:18

So I tried it out. Asher went through a spell of getting up in the middle of the night and I decided to be thankful. So I dragged myself out of bed and thanked the Lord for my son and for his life and for being able to get up with him. And that's about all I remember from 3 in the morning.

But it totally changed my attitude. And I know this is so circa 1998, and we all already learned these Gratefulness Changes Attitudes pep talks, but I didn't. Because sometimes I think certain things don't apply to me. And sometimes I think that if it's verifiably upsetting, then I don't have to choose a different path for my thoughts to wander down.

Upsetting situation + I get upset = usually lots of complaining and I-feel-so-sorry-for-myselfs

But that's the very nature of this new life I've been given. I'm not the same. I don't have to do the things I've always done. By God's grace I can choose differently.

So, as my good friend once said, if this is a 10-mile journey, I've just taken 3 steps. All praise be to God.

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Sara and I am grateful for this learning process I myself just went through. God's Word is so beautiful and our LORD is always wanting to teach us if we will, so I am going to remember what I learned today. You said it so beautifully, full of grace and loving and my spirit was able to receive from God's Word through your heart. Thank you. Love, Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used Math! It makes my heart soar with joy!
    Sarah A

    ReplyDelete