May 18, 2010

To My Son


My sweet baby boy,
You are almost four months old. At your last check-up, at twelve weeks, you were in the 100th percentile for weight at 16 pounds, and the 85th percentile for height. At four months old, you are already well into six-months clothing. And you are the sweetest thing I have ever laid eyes on - you have completely, completely captivated my heart. I have never loved anyone or anything so much in my entire life. You are always smiling, it takes the least bit of effort to coax one out of you. Your daddy gets you to laugh by rubbing his face in your belly; we think his beard must tickle you. You have already begun to show a preference for mom and dad, which, of course, warms our hearts. You are an excellent little traveler, from car to plane to house. You love your carseat (which acts as a sedative for you), which makes it easy for us to be out and about at any time. You began sleeping through the night at about 9 weeks, and you've always been a great nap-taker; you love your naps. A few weeks ago, you got into the habit of waking up about two times a night, for seemingly no other reason than you wanted mom to tuck you back in, but lately you've started to get back out of that habit. One of my favorite things is to go in and get you when you've woken up - your chubby little legs kick so excitedly and your whole face lights up and you always have a smile for me. I love to see your naked little body because it's nothing but rolls upon rolls. I also think you prefer to be naked which makes me wonder what life will be like when you know how to take your own clothes off. :) You have a special connection with your daddy, you will only do certain things for him, like mimic the sounds he's making. I've tried and tried but you just stare intently at my face, occasionally smiling, as if you're thinking I'm rather strange. Being your mother is so much more than I could have imagined. The joy and delight that you bring to my life is incomparable to anything else on this planet. Now, when I think about traveling and having adventures it's so much better because you're a part of it. You are the apple of my eye. You never ever have to wonder how much I love you, it's to infinity and more.

You are my son and my delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment